Saturday, September 4, 2010

It's Not Pretty, It's Not Perfect, But It's Not Flat

It's finally playable!

I finished up the map by painting the lines on the hills. This job was done by just eyeballing it. In the future I will not make that mistake again.
I then finished up the main structure by drawing the lines on with a black marker. I opted not to put any other coloured lines on the playing field for two major reasons. First was that everything is pretty clearly marked. The water's real easy to figure out, as is the elevated terrain. The hindering terrain also stands out as easily as the blocking terrain. The only thing that is not clearly marked is the starting positions.
Due to one small calculation mistake I made when placing the bridge I ended up stretching out two rows of blocks reducing the tops from 9x9 to 9x8. It really doesn't alter games play that much, aside from the fact that it takes less to move across the structure from back to front than it does if you are walking across the ground. The next time I know I'm going to paint the structure I will make sure to either fix the bridge, or not worry about the grid line matching up when I re-draw them. Live and learn.
I also discovered that if you use as much water effects glues as I did you better lay it out in the sun if you want it to dry anytime in the near future. After 24 hours it was still basically white. Two hours in the sun and it was almost clear.
The first official game played on the board was, my son, Ryan using two Anti-Monitors at 1000pts each and Galactus at the full 1800pts versus Andie and I, with each of us using teams at 1900pts. I'm sure there's some people going "That's a lot of points to control." But, the teams were all made up of probs and heavy hitters, with high point values, so it cut down drastically on actions that could be performed.
Thankfully my son hasn't figured out how to run the three colossal figures to cause maximum damage, which means Andie and I didn't get our asses handed to us. It was also the first time that we played a game and Galactus could not hit the support character. Andie was using Adam Warlock and I had The Atom (Blackest Night-best support character I've ever seen), we placed them under the bridge and none of Ryan's characters could touch them.
There was also a moment that you only wish you would see in the comics. The Joker standing on the bridge in front of Galactus in his "Take your best shot" pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment